JOB ID 3067
THIS RN WILL WORK MONDAY-FRIDAY, 9 AM-5:30 PM
The Outpatient Psychiatry Nurse Coordinator participates in direct evaluation of a patient’s physical and emotional status. The Outpatient Psychiatry Nurse Coordinator provides education to patients and families/caregivers, regarding medication, diagnosis, behavior management, available, and appropriate resources. He/she acts as a liaison to patients and families in accessing and identifying issues and needs to be reviewed by the Psychiatrist. The Outpatient Psychiatry Nurse Coordinator helps to promote continuity of care between the outpatient clinician, patient/family, and outside agencies.
1. Assures patient’s general health history is collected, documented, completed and communicated to the Psychiatrist for each specific clinic. The health history includes, but is not limited to vital signs, height, weight, head circumference, allergies, current medications, side effects, immunization status and exposure to infectious diseases.
2. Assists the Psychiatrist by ensuring patient/family follow up appointments are scheduled for medication management and prescription renewals according to specific clinic protocols.
3. Educates patient/family about prescribed medications, including use, dose, side effects, food-drug interactions, and gives instructions about adverse reactions that require Psychiatrist notification.
4. Acts as liaison between Psychiatrist, schools, Residential Treatment Centers (RTC), Department of Social Services (DSS), and other outside agencies in order to best meet individual patient needs and goals.
5. Assists clinicians in triaging emergencies.
6. Proficient in performing venipuncture on population served including pediatric, adolescents, and adults.
7. Assists in communicating patient/family needs through multiple medium(s) (letters, phone, and fax) at the request of and under supervision of Psychiatrist and/or Therapist and in accordance with patient rights and confidentiality policy.
8. Communicates patient/family concerns and/or problems to the Psychiatrist in order to address patient needs and goals.
9. Acts as liaison between Psychiatrist, patient/family, pharmacies, and insurance companies to get appropriate care and medication approval, including but not limited to pre-authorizations, pre-certifications, and required lab work.
10. Assists with ensuring appropriate lab requisitions are completed in collaboration with Psychiatrist orders. Will follow up on lab results and communicates findings to the Psychiatrist.
11. Prepares, obtains, and reviews educational resources and material utilized for specific clinics.